Today I want to tell you about something really cool that happened last week – teams from around the world designed a robot and entered it into a robot competition. This is called the DARPR Robotics Challenge.
This year the Challenge was to design a robot to help in emergencies. This is the list of the things that the robots needed to be able to do:
1. Drive a utility vehicle at the site.
2. Travel dismounted across rubble.
3. Remove debris blocking an entryway.
4. Open a door and enter a building.
5. Climb an industrial ladder and traverse an industrial walkway.
6. Use a tool to break through a concrete panel.
7. Locate and close a valve near a leaking pipe.
8. Connect a fire hose to a standpipe and turn on a valve.
Let’s watch one of the robots doing it’s tasks
And this is the robot that won the competition!
(If you really, really love Robots – you can watch the Finals on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv9Wm20UrcU)
Computer Time – Programming Robots
And here’s a new Runaway Robot Game for you to try – don’t forget to read the Instructions!